Friday, May 8, 2009

Joey's Solo Debut

During the Sixties and Seventies, my father played the baritone horn with St. Joe’s drum corps, of Batavia, NY.  Almost twenty years after the corps had folded, he played a major roll in the resurrection and organization of the Mighty St. Joe’s Alumni Corps.  Founded in 1990 by ten former members or the once World Championship caliber corps, the organization is still running strong and entertaining thousands of fans every year. 

Although I was to young to be a member of St. Joe’s alumni, I wore the shirt, often tagging along with my Dad to rehearsals and shows; learning what I could from the great soloists that wailed above the Mighty, Joe’s ensemble.  

This clip is from Harrisburg, PA in April of 1994.  Mighty St. Joe’s had performed at their annual “Serenade in Brass.”   After all the corps had performed, they decided to have an organized “jam” featuring members from all corps that performed.  The chart was written by brilliant writer/arranger/guru Larry Kerchner. 

Because of my age, they were not going to allow me to play an improv. Solo.  Thankfully, friend, teacher and soloist extraordinaire Donny Allen spoke up in my behalf and landed me a spot in the line up. I didn’t have much else going on, but I had that double G, (on Bugle, E on trumpet) so I milked it to the max.  I’ll never forget feeling that first rush of excitement through my veins, it was intoxicating, and the crowd kept feeding me.   Thinking back, this proved to be a defining moment in my life; performing and entertaining was my destiny.  


3 comments:

  1. i remember that video. awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's awesome man. gave me chills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. joey you are the greatest. i am prood of you. you send chills everytime i hear you play thanks, PAUL VERSTRAETE
    MELANIE"S DAD

    ReplyDelete