Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Joey Pero Performs "MacArthur Park" with Maynard Ferguson

This clip is from October, 21st 2005 in Erie, PA.

After my stint with Maynard’s Big Bop Nouveau Band, I got a few opportunities to visit the band when they came through my neck of the woods.  It was always great to see my friends and watch their ever-electric performance!  My friends involved with the Erie Thunderbirds drum & bugle corps www.eriethunderbirds.com (hailing from Erie, PA) had brought in “the Boss” to perform at their milestone banquet. 

Maynard played to a packed house and wowed the crowd with his usual stratospheric swagger.  To my surprise, Maynard invited me up to sit in on the “MF Hit Medley”; and perform the opening solo “MacArthur Park”.  Absolutely cold, I blew a few notes and was off to the races!  Maynard’s energy was in me that night.

Years later, a short clip has surfaced from the archives of Mr. Joe Miller.  A thousand thanks to Joe for sharing this and allowing me to relive this amazing moment.  Little did I know that this would be one of the last times I’d hang with “the Boss”.  Please enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment