Thursday, April 9, 2009

Challenges: Overcoming fear and discomfort to achieve goals

A very human response to new ideas and difficult challenges is to rule out possibilities before putting in the necessary time and thought to really consider the positive impact. These new ideas come in many forms and the tendency is to dismiss them when they are rooted in difficulty or a challenge; this applies not only in music, but also, in all facets of life. When we are faced with something inherently difficult, our heart and soul may be saying yes while the brain and often emotions are shouting "NO!" If we take the time to breathe and really consider our options, weigh our hearts against our brains, often the second glance lets us know where we truly stand, it's taking the second glance that proves to be the real challenge.

Charles Ressler came to me with the idea of playing the Bach Partita as part of our initial concept of "Resonance." After he recited a brilliant and compelling dissertation on why it should be on the record, I swiftly answered "no, it can't be done." Sound familiar? After much coaxing and many hours of discussion, I offered the concept the proverbial second glance.

Even after I had agreed to perform it, I found my brain telling me no, even though so many people around me were positively re-enforcing me. I then remembered my teacher Charles Schlueter always telling me, "don't let the gremlins creep in." These "gremlins" sit on our shoulders and tell us what we can't accomplish. If it were up to these proverbial gremlins, we would be stagnant and never try new and challenging things. In retrospect, I have looked at my process and come up with some steps for “saying yes” to challenges.

Step 1: Knock off the Gremlin.

This really starts with a conscious decision to say "YES". Try changing the sentence from "It can't be done" to "It must/can/will be done". With Partita, I started by practicing the Partita's intervals slowly, making sure the dynamics worked. I then began reinventing my technique to execute passages; I would record myself and listen back. Every small step toward getting the partita under my wing was another step farther from my little gremlins. Of course, the Gremlins stop by on occasion, but progress and accomplishment is the key to prying yourself loose from their power.

Step 2: Making Music

So, after many months of work, I learned all the notes. Great. Now my process had to go from input to output. Once I had the piece under my fingers, it was time to practice the output. With a piece of this speed and agility, I had to let the subconscious take over more deeply. The input comes from listening, practicing, learning, feeling, hearing, testing etc. The output comes from all relevant factors being projected through us (or from us). In other words, I learned the piece backwards and forwards, adjusted my technique, and then threw all of that out the window and began to play it as if I hadn’t done any legwork at all. This is where magic begins to happen.

Step 3: Up Keep

Now that I have learned the Partita, the end of the road is nowhere in sight. This piece, like so many challenges that present personal growth, requires maintenance in order to remain "under my fingers." It simply requires revisiting the process and creative thinking. All growth is continuous, once you get to where you want to be, new challenges present themselves and you want to be further along… the entire process repeats itself. Using Partita as a metaphor: First, I had to learn it, then I had to record it, and now I have to play it live. Each of these situations presents new and different challenges. While performing and practicing, whether in life or music, there is always something new to discover embedded in the magical notes.

The process is never finished. It's a part of the continuum that advances any art or craft or life. We are creative beings by nature – it is important to remember the “yes factor.”

Photobucket

The daunting experience recording Partita in a gigantic room! But, do you see the gremlins scurrying away behind me as I get closer and closer to my goal? If you look closely you can.

Photobucket

Clinton Studios: the room where I had my first recording session, which was Partita. I had to rise to the challenge… and get it done well!

No comments:

Post a Comment